By continuing to use our site, you are agreeing for us to set a small number of cookies. Cookie policy

Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
You are in :

When to contact your Assembly Member

Everyone has the right to contact their local Assembly Member (AM) to discuss issues affecting them, but there are specific areas they can deal with that are covered by the 21 devolved subjects.

If your issue is related to one of these subjects, then you should contact your Assembly Member with any concerns:

  • Agriculture, forestry, fisheries and rural development;

  • Ancient monuments and historical buildings;

  • Culture;

  • Economic development;

  • Education and training;

  • Environment;

  • Fire and rescue services and safety promotion;

  • Food;

  • Health and health services;

  • Highways and transport;

  • Housing;

  • Local government;

  • National Assembly for Wales;

  • Public services;

  • Social welfare;

  • Sport and recreation;

  • Tourism;

  • Devolved Taxes;

  • Town and country planning;

  • Water and flood defences;

  • Welsh Language.

Assembly Members only act on behalf of their constituents, so please check you are contacting an AM who represents your specific constituency or your region. Who is my AM?

Every person in Wales is represented by five AMs in total – one AM for their constituency (the local area in which they live), and another four AMs that cover their region. The five regions of Wales are: North Wales, Mid and West Wales, South Wales West, South Wales Central, and South Wales East.

When you should contact someone else first

Assembly Members may refuse cases where they feel it is outside their remit. Some issues are not the direct responsibility of the Assembly, and in these instances, you should first contact either your local council or your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau before considering contacting your Assembly Member.

These are issues such as:

  • Immigration (you can also contact your Member of Parliament with regard to immigration issues).

  • Council tax.

  • Private problems with neighbours, landlords, employers, family; or companies who’ve sold you faulty goods.

  • Decisions made by the courts.

  • Issues that are the responsibility of your local council (dustbins or street repairs).

For information on any of these matters, visit:

The Citizens Advice Bureau
Find Your MP

Partners & Help