- Sir Roderick Evans QC took up his post as the National Assembly Commissioner for Standards on 1 December 2016.
- The Committee is undertaking an inquiry into Lobbying.
Last updated 6 February 2016
The Committee was established on 28 June 2016 to carry out the functions of the responsible committee set out in Standing Order 22. These include:
- the investigation of complaints referred to it by the Standards Commissioner;
- consideration of any matters of principle relating to the conduct of Members;
- establishing procedures for the investigation of complaints; and
- arrangements for the Register of Members’ interests and other relevant public records determined by Standing Orders.
Commissioner for Standards
The National Assembly Commissioner for Standards, Sir Roderick Evans QC, is an independent person appointed by the Assembly to provide advice and assistance on any matters of principle relating to the conduct of Assembly Members. His tenure as Commissioner of Standards runs from 1 December 2016 to 30 November 2022. The previous Commissioner for Standards, Gerard Elias QC, tenure ran from 1 December 2010 to 30 November 2016.
Work Completed by the Standards of Conduct Committee
Under Standing Order 22.4A, the Assembly must elect an alternate member from the same political group for each member of the responsible committee, for the purposes of Standing Order 22.5.
Standing Order 22.5 states that where a member of the responsible committee is subject to, or otherwise directly connected with, a complaint under Standing Order 22.2(i), he or she may take no part in any consideration if the complaint by the responsible committee. In such circumstances and in relation solely to the consideration of the complaint received, that member may be replaced by his or her alternate member elected in accordance with Standing Order 22.4A. the alternate member may participate in the meetings of the responsible committee to consider the complaint as if he or she were a member of it.
The alternate members are:
John Griffiths AM for Jayne Bryant AM
Andrew R T Davies AM for Paul Davies AM
Adam Price AM for Llyr Gruffydd AM
Michelle Brown AM for David Rowlands AM