Culture, Welsh Language and Sport Committee
The Committee's remit is based on the portfolio of the Minister for Culture, Welsh Language and Sport. The Minister's portfolio embraces: arts, museums, ancient monuments and libraries, the languages of Wales, media and broadcasting, sport and recreation, and lottery issues.
The portfolio also includes oversight of 5 full Assembly Sponsored Public Bodies (ASPBs) and a number of other public bodies as well as Cadw.
And an executive ASPB
- Arts Council of Wales (ACW)
- Amgueddfa Cymru - National Museum Wales (AC-NMW)
- National Library of Wales (NLW)
- Welsh Language Board (WLB)
- Sports Council for Wales (SCW)
- The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (RCAHMW).
Two advisory ASPBs
- The Welsh Books Council (WBC)
- Cadw - the Assembly Government’s Historic Environment service became a Division of the Assembly Government in July 2005.
- CyMAL: Museums Archives and Libraries Wales was established as a new division of the Welsh Assembly Government on 1 April 2004. It supports the development of local museums, archives and libraries services in Wales
- The Ancient Monuments Board (AMB) and
- The Historic Buildings Council (HBC)
The main functions of subject committees, as set out in Standing Order 9
, are: policy development; scrutiny of Ministers and Assembly Sponsored Bodies; and scrutiny of legislation. They also advise on budget allocations.
Committee information, including agendas, papers and minutes, can be accessed using the links on the left of this page.