Standards of Conduct Committee (May 1999 - April 2003)
Welcome to the Standards Committee web pages.
The Committee on Standards of Conduct is one of the Assembly's six Standing Committees Standing Order 16 sets out the remit of the Standards Committee, and the requirements as to its membership, the role of the Independent Adviser on standards, meetings and reports.
The Committee's Membership details can be found here
The key function of the Committee is to consider complaints referred to it by the Presiding Officer and any matters of principle relating to the conduct of Assembly Members
generally. The Committee also oversees the Register of Members' Interests.
Standing Order 16
16.1 There shall be a Committee on Standards of Conduct, which shall:
- investigate, report on and, if appropriate, recommend action in respect of any complaint referred to it by the Presiding Officer that a Member has not complied with standing order 4 or any Assembly resolution relating to the financial or other interests of Members, or that an Assembly Secretary has not complied with the requirements of paragraph 2.8;
- investigate, report on and, if appropriate, recommend action in respect of any complaint referred to it by the Presiding Officer that a Member has not complied with any Assembly resolution relating to Members' standards of conduct or with the guidance for Assembly Secretaries which the Assembly has approved in accordance with paragraph 2.7;
- consider any matters of principle relating to the conduct of Members generally;
- supervise the arrangements for the compilation, maintenance and accessibility of the Register of Members' Interests, and the form and content of the Register; and
- present an annual report to the Assembly on the complaints made to the Presiding Officer under (i) and (ii) and the action taken, and on its conclusions in respect of ethical standards in the conduct of the Assembly's business.