By continuing to use our site, you are agreeing for us to set a small number of cookies. Cookie policy

Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Access to Information

This page provides information in relation to the National Assembly for Wales’ access to information policy.  We use the term access to information to cover the release of information under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

The National Assembly for Wales is not covered by the Environmental Information Regulations 2004.  However, if a request is made for such information via the access to information advisor we may consider making a disclosure.

If your query relates to the National Assembly for Wales but is not related to access to information, please use the various contact options.

The Data Protection Act provides rights to individuals in respect of their personal data processed by others.

The Freedom of Information Act gives members of the public a general right of access to information held by public authorities.

Our website will list significant disclosures of information made in response to requests for information via our Disclosure Log.

Our Code of Practice on Public Access to Information sets out how the National Assembly will meet its commitment to provide access to information under the above legislation.  The Code can be accessed from the link provided. Alternatively a hard copy can be obtained by writing to:

Access to Information Adviser
National Assembly for Wales
Cardiff Bay
Cardiff CF99 1NA

Our Publication Scheme commits the National Assembly for Wales ("the Assembly”) to make information available to the public as part of its normal business activities. Our Information Guide (PDF 5,260KB) provides further info on the type of information we publish.

How to ask for information

You can ask the National Assembly for Wales for any information it holds and we will tell you whether we have it and send it to you unless we can justify applying an exemption, in which case we will explain why we’re using exemptions.
To request information, you should contact the Access to Information Adviser at: the above address. Alternatively, you can send us an email. 

Your personal data

When you send us your request, you must provide a name and address for correspondence – these are what the Data Protection Act calls personal data about you. You must also describe the information you want and sometimes this, too, contains personal data about you. We will use your personal data to respond to your request, locate the information you asked for, and to help process any request you make in future.

We will keep personal data about your request on file for the specified retention period and then dispose of it securely.

Please also be aware of our website privacy policy

What you can do if you don’t receive what you want

If you think that we have misunderstood what you want or have missed something out, please contact the official who dealt with your request and discuss it with them. Most mistakes and misunderstandings are easily cleared up.

If you believe that we have not applied the Code of Practice on Public Access to Information correctly, or not followed the relevant laws, you may request a first stage internal review by the official who dealt with your request. If, after that, you are still not satisfied you may request a second formal review. When dealing with any concerns, we will follow the Assembly Commission Code of Practice on Complaints (which is also available by post).

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner. Normally, however, you should pursue the matter through our internal procedure before you complain to the Information Commissioner. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745

Fax: (01625) 524 510

Partners & Help